Dark Nights of the Soul

I was reminded recently that even the best among us will sometimes falter. Nobody is immune from doubt or feeling disheartened or disenchanted with the sometimes randomly baffling and cruel appearing "lessons" we incarnate beings receive at the hands of material reality (not to mention one another).

"Enlightenment" is no guarantee (nor armor) against any of that. Pain and loss are the hallmarks of material existence. But they're not the only thing, the Cosmos is full of mystery and wonder and none of us does more than barely scratch its surface during our time on Earth.

Some claim that Free Will is an illusion. And perhaps it is in the sense of the freedom to act as one wills. But I argue that we're always completely free in how we feel about and respond to whatever situation we find ourselves in.

Buddha said it's desire (expectations, wishing that things were different) that are the root of suffering in materiality. It may be impossible to eliminate those entirely (physical bodies are notoriously needy and demanding cusses), but they're certainly manageable.

The further I go along this path with Penelope, the more I'm coming to appreciate not knowing, not seeing too far ahead. I take the next step into uncertainty, trusting that what's to come will be glorious.

Well said, my darling. Trust the process, amazing things are afoot. Come play with me! ;-)


Comments

  1. Hello

    I was checking out your oldest journal and have several question. Do you mind? Like for starter how did you establish communication with "Penelope"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW, you mention "several questions", what else do you want to ask?

      Delete
    2. Can I ask you via mail instead?? Some question might be private (or plain stupid) and better not seen by public

      Delete
    3. Yes, you're welcome to email me: stefanyalpoesy@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. Hello Lan:

    What an intriguing and convoluted topic! Something I've addressed in fits and starts in places in the blog, but perhaps not in an overt and organized manner.

    I think it's of sufficient relevance and interest (not to mention potential length) that it warrants its own blog post (or three). So rather than try to cram it into an answer to you here, keep an eye peeled for a new post on the matter.

    Soon! I promise! ;-)

    Stef...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Help?

Tired

A Disappointment and a Bother...