About Jesus

I've realized that my earlier diatribe regarding foundational Christianity may be misconstrued as my having a problem with religion in general or Jesus and his teachings in particular, so I thought I should clear the air about that.

For me the major stumbling blocks arise from the religion that has arisen about Jesus rather than the religion of Jesus. My beef is with the literalist Christian message I described in the earlier posting that are the result of taking Paul and the more strident apologists at their word and to their logical conclusions.

Reading the gospels, Jesus' actual words and his deeds represent a whole different point of view. I have nothing but admiration for (making allowance for the paternalistic tone of some of the language):

Love thy neighbour as thyself - Mark 12:31

He who is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone -- John 8:7

Blessed the merciful, for they shall find mercy -- Matthew 5:7

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? -- Mark 8:36

Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.-- Matthew 5:44 


I'm further fascinated by the apocryphal scriptures, particularly the teachings of the Gnostics and Essenes. I'm dismayed by insistence on the literal interpretation and inerrancy of the received text of the Christian bible (which version, which translation)? There's much other wisdom out there.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help?

Tired

How much is enough?